What is possible within the engine

Here we talk about TheoTown in general.
sophiazz
Settler
Reactions:

What is possible within the engine

Post by sophiazz »

I see a lot of suggestions some I think would be awesome to implement but I am wondering something. What is possible within the framework of the game as it is? I liked the suggestion for animation in the stadium and more pedestrian animation in general and I feel like that is within the capabilities of the current game(correct me if I'm wrong). I also liked the idea of variable ground levels, but I hear that that isn't possible (not a deal breaker I swear). So yeah, what is possible in the current engine of the game/where are you guys headed or intend to head with theotown?

Uncle Koala
Metropolitan
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

Re: What is possible within the engine

Post by Uncle Koala »

Everything is possible nowadays. "Engine limitations" is just a silly excuse for not wanting to do something. I don't know what you mean by "variable terrain levels", because we have elevated terrain and hills since last year. Animated players in the stadium are totally possible. So easy that plugin makers could do it since 2017. But the quality bar has fallen so low over the years that such details aren't considered when making a plugin, let alone updating an existing building. You can notice people walking around the big 4x4 fountain. This is because that fountain was supposed to be included in a premium edition of the game, which was scrapped because the devs realised that going free to play with morally questionable decisions is much more profitable.

If you were to suggest elevated terrain or multiplayer support 2 years ago, you would get flamed and insulted by the community since everyone was defending the game with "engine limitation" arguments. And yet here we are today with both of these features in the game.

KINGTUT10101
1,000,000 inhabitants
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

Re: What is possible within the engine

Post by KINGTUT10101 »

I have to agree with Koala. I used to buy into the "engine limitations" argument, but with many features being added that were said to be impossible, i stopped believing that (elevated terrain and viaducts come to mind). The only barrier this engine seems to have is texture space, but maybe that could be improved again someday as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Game Discussion”