A complicated transfer error

Do you have any issues? Don't hesitate to tell us about it.
phaxtolgia
Settler
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store

A complicated transfer error

Post by phaxtolgia »

TL;DR: TheoTown Android is somehow not using the "TheoTown" folder, and is inexplicably saving them in some other location.

I'm facing a very complex & unique problem with Theotown & transferring files, so please read the entire post thoroughly before you reply, "Oh just look for the 'Theotown' folder and transfer everything in there to the other folder!" This solution is simply not available to me.

I played a lot of Theotown way back before the game had regions, but I uninstalled it due to waning interest. However I periodically re-installed it to see my saves are intact, and I resumed to play as usual, with the release of the 1st region being the last time I touched the game.

Then I re-installed the game in 2020.

I re-installed Theotown, only to be greeted by the tutorial. After breezing through that, I looked to see all my progress is gone. I effectively have to start over, and all of my old cities are reduced to atoms. Not surprised though, cuz usually that tends to happen after erasing apps from your device anyway. Then today (2/24/2020) I decided to purchase the steam version of Theotown, so I can transfer my stuff & play on my laptop instead (and yes, I verified with others that Android to PC is transferable.) I looked up on the FAQ & with a bit of help, transferred all my files to my PC! Success! ...Wait. What's this?

I somehow transferred my "dead" data to my PC! And it's all fully operational! All my old saves are somehow still alive and kicking, and yet somehow Theotown Android didn't show I had any of those files. I also noticed that the bensound OSTs didn't play on my Android version either, but the PC version did. I investigated both "Theotown" files, and saw both of them had the bensound OSTs, but the Android version wasn't playing them. Additionally the Theotown folder in the android version was missing the 2 newer regions (it somehow had the "Flat Earth" region,) and I was definitely playing the new 3rd region on the Android version.

With all this, I concluded that my Android version of Theotown is not reading or saving anything on the Theotown folder. Heck I don't think it's using it at all, judging by how it's not playing the Bensound OSTs.

Does anyone know where else Theotown would save my cities on my android?
Last edited by phaxtolgia on 25 Feb 2020, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

CommanderABab
AB
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

Re: A complicated transfer error

Post by CommanderABab »

TheoTown/maps and TheoTown/regions.
TheoTown/maps and TheoTown/regions
TheoTown/maps and TheoTown/regions
Example of files in TheoTown/regions/default
Example of files in TheoTown/regions/default
Different regions within  TheoTown/regions
Different regions within TheoTown/regions
Recent opens and saves in TheoTown/maps
Recent opens and saves in TheoTown/maps

phaxtolgia
Settler
Reactions:

Post by phaxtolgia »

CommanderABab wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 05:46
TheoTown/maps and TheoTown/regions.

Screenshot_20200224-221218.jpgScreenshot_20200224-221342.pngScreenshot_20200224-221331.jpgScreenshot_20200224-221457.png
What.
Did.
I.
Just.
Say?
phaxtolgia wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 04:14
"Oh just look for the 'Theotown' folder and transfer everything in there to the other folder!" This solution is simply not available to me.
Fine. I'll reword what the problem is:

The saves & regions on my TheoTown game does NOT match the same folders in the TheoTown folder. Therefore my game is somehow NOT using the TheoTown folder.

Please do not make me repeat this 10 more times. I've already had to do that on the Discord server.

CommanderABab
AB
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by CommanderABab »

SD card?

phaxtolgia
Settler
Reactions:

Post by phaxtolgia »

CommanderABab wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 10:45
SD card?
No dice. I don't even have an SD card.

Bearbear76
Former Bearbear65
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Bearbear76 »

Do you have any plugins on your android version? Might be the problem.

Mg3094066
Inhabitant of a Supercluster
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Mg3094066 »

He just didnt enabled "save maps on internal storage"

imajoke
Inhabitant of a Conurbation
Reactions:

Post by imajoke »

maybe you have some kind of virus on your phone. maybe it luckily didn't go to your computer

phaxtolgia
Settler
Reactions:

Post by phaxtolgia »

Old reply is old, but I figured it out.

TL;DR: Enable external storage permission in Android settings.

You know how on Android, when you open apps for the first time since an app's (re)install, it asks if it can access certain parts of your phone? It asked for access to files and I declined, effectively forcing the game to utilize internal storage. I had to go to android settings to turn it on.

I had to use a combination of guesswork & reach help from as many different users as possible to find this solution.

So yeah. Basically when I installed for the first time, I let it use external storage, but latest reinstall I did not permit the app to use external storage for some reason. This explains why the game's saves & regions did not match with the ones in my TheoTown files.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Problems and Errors (bugs)”