[answering questions] did my openttd plugin is legal?

Here you can talk about everything you want.
Yakka
Inhabitant of a Conurbation
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

[answering questions] did my openttd plugin is legal?

Post by Yakka »

Yes it is,im one of new dev from open TTD,prof?
This the prof

Kamikazi
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Re: [answering questions] did my openttd plugin is legal?

Post by Kamikazi »

Legally, yes. The OpenGFX (the graphics used for OpenTTD) has a GNU plublic license, meaning it is ok to use those frames for something else, even without mentioning the creators.
Morally, no. The only thing you did is just to pick the frames by just taking a screenshot of the ground and nothing else (i belive since the quality was garbage) . And you also charged it 32 diamonds so people can't get it with an ad so you get "paid more". So it just feel as lazy and cheap cash grab.

Yakka
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Yakka »

Kamikazi wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 08:55
Legally, yes. The OpenGFX (the graphics used for OpenTTD) has a GNU plublic license, meaning it is ok to use those frames for something else, even without mentioning the creators.
Morally, no. The only thing you did is just to pick the frames by just taking a screenshot of the ground and nothing else (i belive since the quality was garbage) . And you also charged it 32 diamonds so people can't get it with an ad so you get "paid more". So it just feel as lazy and cheap cash grab.
Every plugin creator wants more diamond, that's why i came here,if you want talk my copyrights problem i explain soon, about GNU i know that, the problem is,the default bit of open TTD,is 16 bit meanwhile theotown is 8 bit(so far i know)

PixelDubs
TheoTown Veteran in Pension
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by PixelDubs »

Kiki012 wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 10:42
Kamikazi wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 08:55
Every plugin creator wants more diamond, that's why i came here,if you want talk my copyrights problem i explain soon, about GNU i know that, the problem is,the default bit of open TTD,is 16 bit meanwhile theotown is 8 bit(so far i know)
You get diamonds from ads, so you actually still earn more.

Kamikazi
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Kamikazi »

Kiki012 wrote:

Every plugin creator wants more diamond
Not every plugin creator does plugins to get diamonds. A lot of them just do plugins for fun dude and don't care at all about diamonds.

You're just trying to hide the fact you just did this just to get diamond with least work possible by just saying that. Admit it, you just did that plugin to get diamonds the laziest way possible by just ""stealing"" some frames bcs you can't bother to do proper frames by yourself. This isn't your first time, you already ran into drama bcs of stealing frames. If you want diamonds and also save your reputation, how about just learning how to make a simple but high quality house. Every plugin creator stars with something small.

PixelDubs
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by PixelDubs »

Kamikazi wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 15:56
Kiki012 wrote:

Not every plugin creator does plugins to get diamonds. A lot of them just do plugins for fun dude and don't care at all about diamonds.

You're just trying to hide the fact you just did this just to get diamond with least work possible by just saying that. Admit it, you just did that plugin to get diamonds the laziest way possible by just ""stealing"" some frames bcs you can't bother to do proper frames by yourself. This isn't your first time, you already ran into drama bcs of stealing frames. If you want diamonds and also save your reputation, how about just learning how to make a simple but high quality house. Every plugin creator stars with something small.
I am pretty sure he said once that is he only 13 though-_-

Kamikazi
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Kamikazi »

Derncho RBLX wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 18:19
Kamikazi wrote:
Kiki012 wrote:

I am pretty sure he said once that is he only 13 though-_-
Ok and? Did I ask or mentioned here anything about his age?

PixelDubs
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by PixelDubs »

<..>

But younger people are not as talented.
Last edited by CommanderABab on 05 Feb 2021, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quotes

Kamikazi
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Kamikazi »

Derncho RBLX wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 19:50
<..>

Age doesn't mean you can't actually make good plugins dude

RayXP
Inhabitant of a Infinity
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by RayXP »

Speak you English can properly?

TheFennekin
Neighborhood fox
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by TheFennekin »

Derncho RBLX wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 19:50
It depends on the person

TheFennekin
Neighborhood fox
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by TheFennekin »

Kamikazi roasts too muchJust a joke dude

Yakka
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Yakka »

Kamikazi wrote:
Kiki012 wrote:

I know,not all is want that,but to save my reputation may i made random/fictional building (in theotown style)(,Now im addicted with json and programing stuff :teach ), somehow I improve my pixel art skills
(By googling pixel art).
Off Topic
every time i saw your pfp my brain somehow playing hellltaker music

TheFennekin
Neighborhood fox
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by TheFennekin »

Kiki012 wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 07:00
Kamikazi wrote:
Kiki012 wrote:

I know,not all is want that,but to save my reputation may i made random/fictional building (in theotown style)(,Now im addicted with json and programing stuff :teach ), somehow I improve my pixel art skills
(By googling pixel art)
That's for the best

Wekabu city
Inhabitant of a Megalopolis
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Wekabu city »

No it is NOT legal in it's current form as
  • The license must be included in a shape or form
  • The original authors must be credited (you are crediting the wrong guys - OpenGFX is the team responsible for the sprites)
  • You must inherit the license (right now it's all rights reserved)
I highly recommend to read what the GPLv2 is first though

https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenGFX#50-license

On a moral standpoint I think that trying to leach of the Free / Libre Open Source software movement is the most amoral thing you can do. While I get that you want to get some quick diamonds, you should at least attempt to give something back to the community. If everyone would behave like that a large part of OpenJDK system would collapse, thus slowly killing Theotown (you can't stay on Java 8 forever and if the devs are already on OpenJDK 9+ then it will be even faster) along with a few other things (like Minecraft). Mostly this isn't as extreme as this but it can still lead to very serious issues like heartbleed (a bug in the seriously underfunded OpenSSL project) which can create millions in damages.

Yakka
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Yakka »

Wekabu city wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 13:17
No it is NOT legal in it's current form as
  • The license must be included in a shape or form
  • The original authors must be credited (you are crediting the wrong guys - OpenGFX is the team responsible for the sprites)
  • You must inherit the license (right now it's all rights reserved)
I highly recommend to read what the GPLv2 is first though

https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenGFX#50-license

On a moral standpoint I think that trying to leach of the Free / Libre Open Source software movement is the most amoral thing you can do. While I get that you want to get some quick diamonds, you should at least attempt to give something back to the community. If everyone would behave like that a large part of OpenJDK system would collapse, thus slowly killing Theotown (you can't stay on Java 8 forever and if the devs are already on OpenJDK 9+ then it will be even faster) along with a few other things (like Minecraft). Mostly this isn't as extreme as this but it can still lead to very serious issues like heartbleed (a bug in the seriously underfunded OpenSSL project) which can create millions in damages.
:bb F i forgot to put the license,but i got permission via discord(, don't ask me to find the chat)

Wekabu city
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Wekabu city »

Permission is an issue for open source projects if you want to re-license something as you'd need to ask each an every contributor for the permission (unless they signed some sort of CLA), and chances are someone is unresponsive.
However if you plan is to accept the license then permission is irrelevant for FLOSS projects.

Wekabu city
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Wekabu city »

Kiki012 wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 08:41
Yes it is,im one of new dev from open TTD,prof?
This the prof
wat. the only OpenTTD-related contributions are https://github.com/OpenTTD/team/issues/92 and https://github.com/pelya/openttd-android/issues/8.
They are far from being considerable as "Dev", plus https://github.com/Kiki012184/OpenTTD/branches lists no contributions of yours.
It's like saying that I'm an OpenTTD dev because I did https://github.com/Geolykt/OpenTTD/comm ... 078db139ff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Smalltalk”