The Largest TT Map

Display your city's beauty to the world. Capture and share captivating screenshots of your urban creations in this community forum. Inspire others with your remarkable designs and receive recognition for your visionary city-building skills!
SmallHatYT
Settler
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

The Largest TT Map

Post by SmallHatYT »

Hey guys, SmallHat here, and this is a showcase of TT and large maps. Now you may be thinking: "You can't get larger than giant!" Says you. Well, you are actually wrong. With a collaboration with KT101, we have been working on making the largest maps for 2 months straight. Whilst size 8 may be the largest for a singular city; it is not even close to being the largest we have made. About 3-4 years ago TT opened the console to do regions and other items. Before we get to the largest maps, here are the things leading up to this experiment.

In 2019, I wasn't a forum member, but I did have something that I did that was fun. I created a size 16 (1024x1024) map using a console. I was like, "This must be a world record!" I was already playing TheoTown for 3 years, so I was bound to do it eventually.

2020 came to take me on a trip. In the Summer of same year, I got a desktop to do things that I had never done before. I only had a phone and a tablet at the time, so I was surprised to see that it could do much more than my old devices. Later on, I downloaded TT on my desktop.

So after about 2 years of it being a thing to do for fun, I decided to post a picture of a map much larger than my old one on a phone. At this time, I already had a Discord account, 64 bit java, and a desktop, it was only a matter of time before I decided to join KT101's discord and post the picture there. I also posted it on the official TT Discord. And the experiment then kicked off.
desktop
desktop
A day later, KT said this;
question
question
The first few days of the experiment were simply to try and make larger and larger maps. I made size 50: maps that kept crashing, and KT made a better approach. He slowly made the size go up from 32 seen in the screenshot, to 40, to 42, and then eventually to 44, where the record resided for a bit. I never managed to generate a size 44 on my desktop. Both KT and I had a very high CPU and RAM usage in the process. A few days later KT released his take on the experiment. The link will be on the link list at the bottom. January came and there was no progress happening.

To go further, I need to go on a backstory. I ordered an M1 Mac in Mid-December and gave a good specs. This computer is so good, I'm even writing on it! it arrived in Late-January and when it arrived, I already was thinking about making a map with it.

When I started producing regions and maps on this Mac, I saw that size 32 (the size that kicked off the experiment) generated 4x faster than on my desktop. I had to try size 48. Somehow, it worked! With 1 funny joke and problem.
softwaregore
softwaregore
Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 8.37.05 AM.png (47.43 KiB) Viewed 7793 times
map
map
map
map
joke
joke
Finally, I made the actual largest map in TT.
size 50
size 50
size 50
size 50
size 50
size 50

I did it! I actually finally did it! At the beginning of the experiment, I said that the limit would be size 50. I was correct. When I tried to make a size 51, it did not work. I called the last post of the experiment a day later.
summary
summary
Thank you to KT 101 for collaborating on this experiment.
Thank you people who saw the experiment.
Thank you TT for this experience.

Links to items:

KT 101, Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHhkzy ... 9Qp1aGJn2A

KT 101, Former largest map: https://sites.google.com/view/retrocity ... gjaigvw2yp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzPi7Sj97kM&t=56s

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQjria ... T7_i7y8XuQ

My take on it: TBP (To Be Premiered)
CommanderABab
AB
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Re: The Largest TT Map

Post by CommanderABab »

You should try the seed "lovely".
The26
Inhabitant of a Megacity
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by The26 »

Challenge LTT to try to make the largest TT map :D
SmallHatYT
Settler
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by SmallHatYT »

He's actually only 200 km from me for some reason. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be interested, and if he did he would probably get to size 56.
Zytukin
Villager
Reactions:

Post by Zytukin »

Sorry, accidentally broke your record.

Was able to generate a size 64 single city region on my laptop.
Designer Anthony
Reactions:

Post by Designer Anthony »

Oh wow...
CommanderABab
AB
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by CommanderABab »

How long did it take?
Zytukin
Villager
Reactions:

Post by Zytukin »

Around 5-10 mins. 2.6ghz i7 with 48gb of ram
Save file is around 250mb. It wont show correctly in region view either, the preview seems to only get updated when steam gets closed and reopened.

Tried doing 128 as well, but the game crashes and closes after an hour.
SmallHatYT
Settler
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by SmallHatYT »

Well, I got beaten. GG. at least I held the record and did quite a bit of research. It's been quite a ride.
Marvel
Townsman
Reactions:

Post by Marvel »

Size 50 city is 1024km² in real life(32x32km) that city still far smaller than a real life city like Beijing,Moscow,And Tokyo But still bigger than Berlin And Paris
SmallHatYT
Settler
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by SmallHatYT »

No, supposedly, a tile is 8mx8m, or 64m^2. A size 50 would be 3200 tiles by 3200 tiles, or 25.6km x 25.6km. This would be a 655.36 km^2 map, about 2 times larger than a Cities Skylines 81 tiles map and 4 times larger than a Cities: Skylines 2 map. Unfortunately, it is also 13 times smaller than a NewCity map ~10,000 km^2.
BigCitiesGuy
Settler
Reactions:

Post by BigCitiesGuy »

What number is accurately to 298Km2, im using console so i could make Leipzig from G&B
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Screenshots”