(Off-topic) "soda zip file" attack on my phone

Here you can talk about everything you want.
zacky5000
Small-town resident
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store

Plugin Creator

Platform

(Off-topic) "soda zip file" attack on my phone

Post by zacky5000 »

Good day, everyone. I know this is not related to the game, but it's a really problematic situation for me.

Here's the topic. I went over to my girlfriend's place to pay a visit and decided to connect to their home WiFi network. After connecting, my phone suddenly went haywire and then started downloading huge zip files that have "soda" in their names until it messed up my phone's memory. Now, my projects in my phone, including my plugin projects, are in danger of getting deleted because my phone won't stop downloading the said files repeatedly even if I stop it and delete every file it downloads. It only stops downloading once I disconnect from any internet network I'm connected to. Anyone here who could help me with this? I'd really appreciate any response.

I'm also worried about my data security since, as far as I know, my phone has no credible and updated built-in antivirus in it. I'm worried that my information would get stolen because of what happened. My phone's brand is Vivo Y53. Thanks in advance for anyone who could help me resolve my phone's issue. :(
Player_no_Zero
Metropolitan
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Re: (Off-topic) "soda zip file" attack on my phone

Post by Player_no_Zero »

Obviously u have a virus. This virus is the same as some other virus you can find on YouTube, there's literally a tons of videos of virus "prank" however this is kinda the same as one vid i saw which is to download infinite amount of crap until the memory explode and kills your phone. From what I gather from a small skim, you need a external device like computer or probably another phone, have it any kind of anti virus, Norton is the recommended onw i see, and of course DO NOT CONNECT TO INTERNET. I really cannot help that much because i don't know computer major things but i know small parts of computer.
KINGTUT10101
1,000,000 inhabitants
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by KINGTUT10101 »

Back up your important files to a PC or USB drive before you try to solve the issue. If you're on Android, simply plug one of them into your phone and transfer the files
zacky5000
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by zacky5000 »

Thanks for the responses, guys... I made a backup of my files and stored it in my Google Drive before doing a factory reset. Also changed all my passwords due to risks of data security breaches since I have an active online wallet. Sadly, I wasn't able to recover some of my files due to corruption and several failures of my phone's file directory to respond to actions. I mean, the phone literally freezes whenever I open the file directory due to flooding of zip files from an unknown source. Again, thanks for the responses, guys. I really appreciate it. I'll just take care next time and be cautious about connecting to networks aside from my network at home...
imajoke
Inhabitant of a Conurbation
Reactions:

Post by imajoke »

zacky5000 wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 16:41 Thanks for the responses, guys... I made a backup of my files and stored it in my Google Drive before doing a factory reset. Also changed all my passwords due to risks of data security breaches since I have an active online wallet. Sadly, I wasn't able to recover some of my files due to corruption and several failures of my phone's file directory to respond to actions. I mean, the phone literally freezes whenever I open the file directory due to flooding of zip files from an unknown source. Again, thanks for the responses, guys. I really appreciate it. I'll just take care next time and be cautious about connecting to networks aside from my network at home...
But wouldn't that save the virus, too?
KINGTUT10101
1,000,000 inhabitants
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by KINGTUT10101 »

Depends on the virus. It may have been a rouge app.
zacky5000
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by zacky5000 »

imajoke wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 09:45
zacky5000 wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 16:41 Thanks for the responses, guys... I made a backup of my files and stored it in my Google Drive before doing a factory reset. Also changed all my passwords due to risks of data security breaches since I have an active online wallet. Sadly, I wasn't able to recover some of my files due to corruption and several failures of my phone's file directory to respond to actions. I mean, the phone literally freezes whenever I open the file directory due to flooding of zip files from an unknown source. Again, thanks for the responses, guys. I really appreciate it. I'll just take care next time and be cautious about connecting to networks aside from my network at home...
But wouldn't that save the virus, too?
I got the files scanned by my friend using a PC before I transferred all of the important files to a MicroSD that he lent me before I do a factory reset. Luckily, none of the files I've saved got infected. When I put the said files back in to my phone, nothing happened. It seems that there has been an app that's gone rogue, but I don't understand how and why it happened because I don't remember installing anything from any unknown source or even opening any malicious sites or files from messages found in my email. All I remember was that there was a time recently wherein my Google Play Store suddenly crashed and then, all off a sudden, it required me to update all the apps even though I just updated my apps a day before the said incident happened. A few days passed then boom, my phone had a heart attack.
KINGTUT10101
1,000,000 inhabitants
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by KINGTUT10101 »

To my knowledge, most viruses on Android come from rouge apps that the user unintentionally installs. So you may have downloaded an app from the play store that was doing this to you.
zacky5000
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by zacky5000 »

KINGTUT10101 wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 22:10 To my knowledge, most viruses on Android come from rouge apps that the user unintentionally installs. So you may have downloaded an app from the play store that was doing this to you.
I really don't understand how apps like those get through despite of users being cautious and evasive when it comes to downloading apps these days. I mean, it just makes Google Play Store look sus. I checked everything including system files and there are no recently installed apps other than what I have from the full factory reset and other apps I needed like Messenger, Pixly and TheoTown. Let's just hope the said attack is not carried out by those ads found in some games. Man, if it does, I'll go back to PC. It's so hard to handle and catch up with these viruses on Android. Antiviruses are too expensive too compared to PC. Really wish I could afford a new PC so I wouldn't have to rely on my phone for my games and other techie stuff. 😒😒😒
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Smalltalk”