Discord and Plugin Store killed our Forum...

Here you can talk about everything you want.
yusuf8a684
Reactions:

Re: Discord and Plugin Store killed our Forum...

Post by yusuf8a684 »

former member wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 22:01 ...
I agree with you as well
malsa
Inhabitant of a Multiverse
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store
Version: Beta

Platform

Post by malsa »

former member wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 22:01 Pretty long post
I remember when this forum looks different than today, I hope Du.sko and Mat.ison is okay right now, really miss them :/
SomeIndianGuy
TheoTown Veteran in Pension
Reactions:

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

I would just like to say that,people back in 2017 and 2018 were more friendlier and tolerant. I particularly used to be excited about new plugins and rp was more enjoyable,but the forums have lost that charm.
Imran M
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Imran M »

That's actually an embodiment of all my concerns. Too many fortnite kiddos on discord, not a lot of action here (I think), not the biggest fan of plugin store either but that generates revenue.
When theotown coming to switch? I'll play it so much of it was on there!
Making plugins was what kept me coming back to forum. I liked this forum and this game, but its changing.
(That was so much rambling)
Bearbear76
Former Bearbear65
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Bearbear76 »

Imran M wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:14 That's actually an embodiment of all my concerns. Too many fortnite kiddos on discord, not a lot of action here (I think), not the biggest fan of plugin store either but that generates revenue.
When theotown coming to switch? I'll play it so much of it was on there!
Making plugins was what kept me coming back to forum. I liked this forum and this game, but its changing.
(That was so much rambling)
I don't think it will come to switch, Although the licence is free and the DevKit is about $500, much cheaper compared to other consoles.
I don't think there is enough market for it. I don't know if many switch players will play TheoTown on switch.
Also it seems that one option (there could be others) for development in Nintendo is Unity that doesn't support Java which is what TheoTown is coded in.
Although C# (Unity supported) is kinda similar to Java, it's still going to be a lot of work to rewrite the code to C#.

work + time + money >> profit, so financially it's not a good idea to bring TheoTown to switch.
Take this as a grain of salt since it's a summary of a quick search (Also I'm not an expert in Unity).
Imran M
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Imran M »

Ølsken wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 08:19
Imran M wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:14
I don't think it will come to switch, Although the licence is free and the DevKit was about $500, much cheaper compared to other consoles.
I don't think there is enough market for it. I don't know if many switch players will play TheoTown on switch.
Also it seems that one option (there could be others) for development in Nintendo is Unity that doesn't support Java which is what TheoTown is coded in.
Although C# (Unity supported) is kinda similar to Java, it's still going to be a lot of work to rewrite the code to C#.

work + time + money >> profit, so financially it's not a good idea to bring TheoTown to switch.
Take this as a grain of salt since it's a summary of a quick search (Also I'm not an expert in Unity).
So, let's say I code the stuff. Will it then be financially good (Probably won't though)? I picked up python in about 10-20 computer science lessons, and made a graphing program (outside lesson with GUI), so picking up C# might be easy as well. I've seen a c# tutorial, and they're not pretty, though!
Mehta, probably can't, there was like 20 people working day and night on the game for years, so yeah, that would be really hard task.
Bearbear76
Former Bearbear65
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Bearbear76 »

Imran M wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:14 So, let's say I code the stuff. Will it then be financially good (Probably won't though)? I picked up python in about 10-20 computer science lessons, and made a graphing program (outside lesson with GUI), so picking up C# might be easy as well. I've seen a c# tutorial, and they're not pretty, though!
Mehta, probably can't, there was like 20 people working day and night on the game for years, so yeah, that would be really hard task.
Well the problem is Python is slow compared to Java or C# as it's an interpreted language, even if you use CPython, C# and Java would probably,
outdo Python, heck even Lua is faster than that. Obviously if you learn one language picking up the other shouldn't be too hard but, I can't really tell your knowledge in programming from 10-20 computer science lessons, the ones I take are just copy the code written on paper and run; anyone can do that (though a lot of people still have problems with that :lol:). Also yeah, making a copy of TheoTown might take ages.

fun fact: right now I'm knees deep in Lua, but I also want to learn another language but, I don't know which to learn first. Java is cool and I really like it but because of how much I like Lua, I'm starting to want to learn C++.
Imran M
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Imran M »

Ølsken wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 09:41 Well the problem is Python is slow compared to Java or C# as it's an interpreted language, even if you use CPython, C# and Java would probably,
outdo Python, heck even Lua is faster than that. Obviously if you learn one language picking up the other shouldn't be too hard but, I can't really tell your knowledge in programming from 10-20 computer science lessons, the ones I take are just copy the code written on paper and run; anyone can do that (though a lot of people still have problems with that :lol:). Also yeah, making a copy of TheoTown might take ages.

fun fact: right now I'm knees deep in Lua, but I also want to learn another language but, I don't know which to learn first. Java is cool and I really like it but because of how much I like Lua, I'm starting to want to learn C++.
I made this to help me with UniPathways and making stress strain graphs. Not doing print and input stuff. It's even got a GUI, stuff we haven't covered yet.
Graph Maker Demonstration.zip
(4.03 MiB) Downloaded 121 times
Bearbear76
Former Bearbear65
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Bearbear76 »

Nice work!
Imran M
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Imran M »

Ølsken wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 05:53Nice work!
*Default dance*

Edit: I'm using default dance still to show any good emotions in 2020. Not sure if I'll let this continue, but I want it to! I haven't played fortnite in a long time though, so don't worry!
PenangLion1016
Inhabitant of a Megacity
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by PenangLion1016 »

Forums is the place where I found the TheoTown community. But I have to be honest, the Discord chat rooms had diminished the importance of the Forums. I'm not saying that I opposed the TheoTown committee's decision to integrate the system into Discord, but I'm just saying that Discord did in fact stained the harmonious scenario and community of TheoTown. I know we must have some laughs inside the community but I do feel that everything in Discord has turned pretty much a non-harmonious place with all of them strange memes and discussions, ranging from conspiracy theories to incredibly personal stuff. I left this community because of my disappointment towards the progress of the community, mainly into the Discord servers.

No matter how others tried to say, it is clear that the activity among the Forums did in fact had a "fall from grace" moment. Most of the activities and discussions are all moved to other platforms. Last time when I was a young newbie forum member, this place was full of fun, spirit, joy, and bursted with activity. We have extremely funny and memorable members such as Aizat, Rock, Monte, and others too. Everybody was trying to make better and better plugins, surpassing each other. Posting them, waiting them to share, etc. It is fun to do that.

Now however, when I checked the Forums, it's quite stagnant. Most of the posts are done by us "veterans" trying to salvage everything we can do. A lot of veterans left, seldom newbies entered. The Forum, has received far less and less attention.

Yeah I do miss that period. Discord is funny, laughable, easy and quick to use, but somehow I just don't feel the atmosphere in some sense rushing through my minds. No politics, no racism, no insults. Just pure admiration, teamwork and joy.

Yes, I'm here again, don't be stunned about my return, which nobody would.
BetterBear
Inhabitant of a Galaxy Cluster
Reactions:

Platform

Post by BetterBear »

Wow, I still remember the days that the two former members were still here.. When plug-ins were not even a thing.. When the forum got upgraded into version 2.0...

I feel old now..
-LeoLeo-
Inhabitant of a Solar System
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by -LeoLeo- »

I mean... I own everything to the people of the forum here. Thanks to the yellow text on the loading screen and the button on the "credits" section, I learned the existant of the forum. My life have never been the same since then...

I still remembered the first time I joined the RP, lol. Acted like a kid. Never have thought that I'll have real friends from an online site about a game...

We used to think of the ideas like, if we can talk in the forum more fluently, or load plugins easier. In the end, the shiny new thing we strived for is the thing that kill the precursor...

----------

Having something hard to use or complicated kinda filters the crowd. Like steam trains, or gramophones. Only die-hard fans will put efforts into it and appreciate the community.

(I dunno if it make sense. It's just something I had in mind for a while)
kekman
Townsman
Reactions:

Platform

Post by kekman »

The plugin store shot the plugin community in the back .when plugins were monetized it meant people started making plugins for diamonds instead of pleasure ,and that's how the bad plugin wave came in,and the discord is just people being random and ja being a weeb.
Imran M
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Imran M »

kekman wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 12:46 The plugin store shot the plugin community in the back .when plugins were monetized it meant people started making plugins for diamonds instead of pleasure ,and that's how the bad plugin wave came in,and the discord is just people being random and ja being a weeb.
However, the plugin store is the only way to reward lobby for working on plugin support at all. I remembered that from an old pm a few years ago, when showcase posts stagnated. I do agree with your posts, but a lot of other people may have found the forum from the store (I think Pen was like this, right?).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Smalltalk”