Openttd-theotown mashup

Share your ideas about possible future content here.
The Edge
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Openttd-theotown mashup

Post by The Edge »

I'm new to theotown wish I found it sooner I've been wanting a simcity type game to add to my time wasting folder. Lol..

I also have played another game originally called transportation tycoon deluxe. Today it is an open source game open to people who (unlike me) are smart enough to play with coding can manipulate the open source program.

You own a transport company. You can have partners so cooperative play also you can play against other players companies too on the same map.

Point is to move cargo.

Cities grow based on your passengers and mail.
Theres certain cargo that requires industry to manufacture before being delivered to final destination as goods.

Oil rigs in the water transported by boat or oil derricks on land

Using airplane helicopter trucks buses trains and boats.

I'm sure the coding between theotown and openttd is different but if the developers are able to use the processes in it's to add a transport part of the game it would 6ake theotown to the next level.

Playing openttd I always thought it would be nice to have simcity added to it. Not really change anything of openttd but to add the placement and creation of zones and buildings and services basically add sim city over top of ttd.

I dont know what it would take entirely to mashup these 2 games. But looking at open ttd might give developers ideas on how they calculate even traveling distance between a track on a straight line or duagonal and how the cargo loses value over time

I would like to use freight cargo for my trains in the town. Made my first city based on rail. It was a waste of time..
CommanderABab
AB
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

Re: Openttd-theotown mashup

Post by CommanderABab »

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm sure some plugin developers could do something. It's just a matter of time and interest.
Kamikazi
Inhabitant of a Conurbation
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Kamikazi »

tbh, I'll rather have OpenTTD and TheoTown as completely different games. As a player on both games, I'll rather have the 2 games focus what they actually are: OpenTTD as a transport manager and TheoTown as a City builder game. I don't want them to have combine gameplay and turn into something that confuses players
CommanderABab
AB
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by CommanderABab »

It .might be a week before he replies. He had 4 pending posts on the subject. So ...
PixelDubs
TheoTown Veteran in Pension
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by PixelDubs »

If you have gaming PC, Kingtut101 made a region with 2800 x 2800 tiles, uses 4GB RAM and all your CPU, but it can be playable, closest thing you will get.
The Edge
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Post by The Edge »

Ok. So im back. Yes i spammed other threads, not sure if the content is seen first, but i does need to be approved. So could have just not approved the posts and sent me a warning.
Anyway i broke the rule. Im out of detention lets move on.
The Edge
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Post by The Edge »

Derncho RBLX wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 10:52 If you have gaming PC, Kingtut101 made a region with 2800 x 2800 tiles, uses 4GB RAM and all your CPU, but it can be playable, closest thing you will get.
Is it just the region that is very big? Or does it have tge same transport effects built in. Obviously the memory usage is an issue
The Edge
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Post by The Edge »

Kamikazi wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 21:04 tbh, I'll rather have OpenTTD and TheoTown as completely different games. As a player on both games, I'll rather have the 2 games focus what they actually are: OpenTTD as a transport manager and TheoTown as a City builder game. I don't want them to have combine gameplay and turn into something that confuses players
Ok i do agree with you somewhat.

In open ttd it would be nice to control the RCI And design of the city. But while maintaining a transport company.

In a city simulation i do want to control logistics.

Thats part of a city.

As a city manager I want to be able to choose what trains are on my rail systems, plays with a theme too.

So being new to this game. And while being in detention. . I unlocked the launch pad. It requires cargo from industry. How is that managed within the game?
Are there more buildings like this?

I dont know anything about programing so youll have to talk to me like im in grade 1

I would like to be able to buy a bus and create orders for its own unique bus route. Similar to ttd.
And be able to move cargo like ttd.

I just found the oil rig plugin. Its nice i like how it looks. Out in the middle of the ocean but it works on its own no boats for cargo transport no helicopter pad for passenger transport

I get that the original city simulator automatically built buildings in the zones youve created you didnt really have a choice of the look of the building but were are past that now with these awesome plugins that are being created so that we can use our creative imagination.

I think any city simulator would benefit if the cargo could be controlled. Allowing your zones to grow in relation to citizen and cargo movement around the city.

Industry isnt mining industry wont be making metal or plastic high level industry manufacturers wont have supply which means commerce cant operate.

Passengers on a work hour cycle population only grows with jobs and a citizen is dedicated to a worker spot in industrial or commerce. Every 10 and 14 game day hours that citizen travels to and from work. And a chance it might go for a random trip anytime in that 14 hour game day period.
With a chance it might walk bike take a car bus or train or subway.

I just think transport of cargo and passengers is needed in a city simulation.

Obviously wont happen over night.

Lots of reading there and might sound silly.
Dont stomp on any of it lets have a discussion.
PixelDubs
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by PixelDubs »

The Edge wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 18:14
Derncho RBLX wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 10:52 If you have gaming PC, Kingtut101 made a region with 2800 x 2800 tiles, uses 4GB RAM and all your CPU, but it can be playable, closest thing you will get.
Is it just the region that is very big? Or does it have tge same transport effects built in. Obviously the memory usage is an issue
It just a big region.
The Edge
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Post by The Edge »

Derncho RBLX wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 22:36
It just a big region.
Yeah so the big region is not the objective.
I think what theotown has to offer is great already.

Obviously everyone has an opinion about what they think needs to be done. I think though being able to setup a transit system and moving cargo is not far off what a city management simulation could offer.
Theotown almost offers a bus transit system.

Can anyone explain how it works exactly? How does it eliviate traffic and people movement?
PixelDubs
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by PixelDubs »

The Edge wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 02:05

It just a big region.

Obviously everyone has an opinion about what they think needs to be done. I think though being able to setup a transit system and moving cargo is not far off what a city management simulation could offer.

Can anyone explain how it works exactly? How does it eliviate traffic and people movement?
It is very big, 9 giant maps in fact, big enough to fit all your towns and cities, so you could use the bus system, make some small routes in the cities and towns, then make long routes, but you cannot take a route outside a plot.
The Edge
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Post by The Edge »

Derncho RBLX wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 09:44

It just a big region.

It is very big, 9 giant maps in fact, big enough to fit all your towns and cities, so you could use the bus system, make some small routes in the cities and towns, then make long routes, but you cannot take a route outside a plot.

No this is not what im talking about.im not interested in a bigger map.
PixelDubs
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by PixelDubs »

The Edge wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 14:10
Derncho RBLX wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 09:44

No this is not what im talking about.im not interested in a bigger map.
Then you are out of luck, sorry.
TheFennekin
Neighborhood fox
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by TheFennekin »

The Edge wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 18:14 Can anyone explain how it works exactly? How does it eliviate traffic and people movement?
It offers people happiness depending on the capacity taken by that bus stop. More people crammed in there, less happiness (Probably)
TheFennekin
Neighborhood fox
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by TheFennekin »

The trransport cargo suggestion is great. People will be happier if their cargo is delivered but this is not like openttd where complex stuff is done instead like some easier stuff
Kamikazi
Inhabitant of a Conurbation
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Kamikazi »

TheFennekin wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 07:27 The trransport cargo suggestion is great. People will be happier if their cargo is delivered but this is not like openttd where complex stuff is done instead like some easier stuff
Yeah i would agree with you. Something like basic transportation would be good for the game, but just something really basic since OpemTTD can get really complex with gruops timetables and other stuff
Wekabu city
Inhabitant of a Megalopolis
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Wekabu city »

Vanilla OpenTTD is nothing compared to JGRPP or Simutrans. Honstestly, OpenTTD/JGRPP is a city building game compared to Simutrans, even if both share many things (Simutrans is just a lot more complicated).
The Edge
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Post by The Edge »

TheFennekin wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 07:27 The trransport cargo suggestion is great. People will be happier if their cargo is delivered but this is not like openttd where complex stuff is done instead like some easier stuff

So theo town is setup solely on making citizens happy??
I would think someone could create a building plug in that only works if a certain item was delivered to it?
The Edge
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Post by The Edge »

Kamikazi wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 09:58
Yeah i would agree with you. Something like basic transportation would be good for the game, but just something really basic since OpemTTD can get really complex with gruops timetables and other stuff

So the plugin wouldnt need to have the complex time tables built. A simple truck or airplane or train we would need to change cars based on cargo that we can give orders to pickup cargo or passegers and drop them off. I think doing this will make theo towns airports more realistic too. I dont think this plugin should be created to work on citizens happiness taking that element put might take less work?
If somehow it prevents growth if the supply is not there that would make things interesting

It can be very simple to start, as peoples interests grows im sure a new young programmer might step in and build on??

Theo town almost has the building with the launch pad but no way to control the cargo.
The Edge
Small-town resident
Reactions:

Post by The Edge »

Wekabu city wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 14:00 Vanilla OpenTTD is nothing compared to JGRPP or Simutrans. Honstestly, OpenTTD/JGRPP is a city building game compared to Simutrans, even if both share many things (Simutrans is just a lot more complicated).
What does this mean??
Last edited by The Edge on 07 Feb 2021, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Suggestions”