Creating In 3D

Plug-in related stuff can be discussed here.

Moderator: Plugin Moderators

BlueDragonFire
Villager
Reactions:

Platform

Creating In 3D

Post by BlueDragonFire »

>>>REMOVED part of the instructions of shadowing since I flubbed and used the directional method which works in some cases but obviously not all. It's mostly still good, just a small removal.<<<

I don't know if anyone else has thought of this but I figured I'd put the idea out.

I'm working on a plugin project and found it difficult to make the images using the pixel editors (Pixly & Draw Pixel Art). So I decided to start bigger and used Microstation (it's a CAD program which can do 2d and 3d, for those who don't know) & GIMP on my computer. I could have also used 3DS Max (for making 3d models) but I can be more accurate with measurements in Microstation.

So how I'm doing it:
  1. Bring in the 8x8 image tile as a 'Raster' (since it's the largest tile and can also be used as a reference for the smaller sizes) - it can be sized as needed for modeling
  2. Use the image (in isometric view) to create the item(s)
  3. Apply textures to item (Microstation has LOADS of textures available or you can use your own)
  4. 'Capture' and save the item as a PNG screenshot
  5. Open the image(s) in GIMP
  6. Clean image(s)
  7. Bring in appropriate #x# tile as a layer and scale it up to 10x its normal size
  8. Scale up your image layer(s) to fit the tile
  9. Apply borders and such
  10. Export full image (again, as PNG)
  11. Bring that image back in to use for shadow
  12. Make it completely black (the non-transparent parts, if course)
  13. Make the Opacity 25% (my preference, of course) then use 'Perspective' tool to adjust it appropriately (maybe even scale it down just a bit)
  14. Export the new PNG image then save GIMP file for possible later needs
  15. Bring it into its own GIMP file
  16. Scale it all down to the #x# tile's normal size
  17. Export as the file you'll be using for your plugin
It may seem a lot to do to get that tiny image but, for me, it's FAR easier. Plus, you should be able to make your changes to the larger image (whether as an image or in the 3D program) quicker. I still have a ways to go learning how to do plugins so it'll be a while before I'm ready to put it out (I'm not even sure if what I have in mind is possible).

Maybe it's not an idea everyone would want to use. But for those (like me) who find it difficult to work at such a small level the regular way this might be worth trying.
Last edited by BlueDragonFire on 05 Jun 2021, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

yusuf8a684
Reactions:

Re: Creating In 3D

Post by yusuf8a684 »

How does it look, can you show an example?

BlueDragonFire
Villager
Reactions:

Platform

Post by BlueDragonFire »

I flubbed the shadowing part of the instructions but it looks pretty good.

Here are the examples - larger image & useable image.
Plat-4.png
WPlat-4.png
WPlat-4.png (12.98 KiB) Viewed 1998 times

yusuf8a684
Reactions:

Post by yusuf8a684 »

you might have to fix this blur also the shadows are kinda facing the wrong way. If you can handle it then it might be better
e.PNG
e.PNG (14.28 KiB) Viewed 1979 times

BlueDragonFire
Villager
Reactions:

Platform

Post by BlueDragonFire »

Yah, I hadn't thought about the blurring. That should be easy to fix though.

I guess I mis-remembered the shadow location. I thought in one of the posts I'd read that it was suppose to be to the right and above. Again, easy to fix once I get the real deal.

THANKS for the info!!

I'm also considering changing the direction of the texture so it follows the iso. If I remember correctly Microstation has texture settings to do that. Even if I can't do it directly, I'll be able to do it in post (so 'P=NP', eh?). And I'll be redoing that grid as well so it's not 'flat' (it's also not quite correctly placed :) ).

BlueDragonFire
Villager
Reactions:

Platform

Post by BlueDragonFire »

8-) Okay, maybe I'm mis-reading this...
yusuf8a684 wrote:
23 May 2021, 01:07
Step 6- Important part and usually the step every person fails, it is normal. Add shadows to the sides that are facing right and also add some places you want to add depth too. Like the door I did. (Even in my texture there is a shadow issue with small roof and the wall next to it, you should think about those too)

Step 7- Remove the template and don't forget to add shadow to ground that fits with template ground. You can make your own ground too... With this you have to add "draw ground":"true" to your plugin

output_ofq9nr.gif
That was actually the post I was going by when I thought of doing the shadow. Though I probably added a bit too much shadow. Ah well. ;)

yusuf8a684
Reactions:

Post by yusuf8a684 »

I am excited about your project, will wait for next images

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Plug-In Discussion”